As an animal feed provider, we have to comply with the following regulations:
- The Animal Feed (Hygiene, Sampling, etc, and Enforcement (England) Regulations 2015
- The Animal Feed (Composition, Marketing and Use (England) Regulations 2015 & EU Regulations (EC) 183/2005
- EU Regulations (EC) 767/2009
- EU Regulations (EC) 178/2002
Our registration number with Trading Standards the governing body is GB218E2868
Our inspection is carried out on a regular basis and we are pleased to inform you we are compliant. Noted especially at the audit was the cleanliness of our kitchen!
The pet food industry is highly regulated, and this legislation applies equally to what can be described as commercial pet food manufacture on an industrial scale and to smaller scale manufacturers such as myself in a person’s private home.
Legislation on animal feed originates from the EU (rather than coming from the UK) and the overarching principle is that animal feed, including pet food, must be produced in hygienic conditions, and that the finished product is safe, is not harmful to animal or human health and is fully traceable. The main legislation for the manufacture of pet food, even in your own home is described below:
EU Regulations (EC) no 183/2005 laying down the requirements for feed hygiene, requires that feed safety and hygiene be considered at all stages of the production of pet food, wherever this may be carried out. The Regulation sets out the operating standards to which all pet food manufacturers must comply.
- Facilities and equipment
- quality control including Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP – Feed Safety , management system)
- Storage and transport
- record keeping, including trace-ability
- complaints and product recall
All pet food manufacturers must also comply with EU Regulation (EC) No 767/2009 on the placing on the Market and used of feed, this legislation covers matters such as:
- safety and marketing requirements. Special regard should be given to the species and type of pet you are manufacturing food for
- stringent labelling, presentation and packaging requirements, including analytical declarations
- manufacturer responsibilities
- substantiation of any claims, including nutritional claims
- prohibition on misleading of purchasers
- prohibition on making medicinal claims
We hope that all this puts your mind at ease, and please check that other providers of pet cakes and treats also meet the same standards. Be safe and be aware.
Kind regards, and always with your pets interest at heart, Tarnia
Hi, my name is Tarnia and I am the owner and baker for V.I.Pets Bakery. We provide homemade personalised Cakes and Treats for you to share with your special pet on any occasion, whether it’s a Birthday, a festival, special event or holiday. Cakes and treats are baked fresh and posted out the same day to you so everything arrives in time for your Celebration. Products are handmade, no whisks or food processors are used, so you’ll see the chunks of fresh carrots and apples in our yummy cakes. Read more…